Lake District Wedding Venues
An Inspirational Setting…
The Lake District provides an idyllic setting for your wedding, whether you love the outdoors and like being out and about, or if you want to be able to relax amongst beautiful surroundings. The region is not only reknowned for its lakes and mountains, but also for its gentle pace of life and friendly welcome.
A ceremony with a difference…
An Inspirational Wedding Ceremony can be held at an indoor or outdoor location of your choice: at a hotel or a village hall, in your home or garden, or at a special beauty spot. It is up to you!
One of the main advantages of having a humanist wedding is that you have the freedom to hold it where you wish. (Please also see ‘A Humanist Wedding’ page) Therefore, when choosing a hotel, you are not just limited to those that hold a wedding licence. There are many other options available which include some of the smaller, family-run hotels.
I have experience of conducting ceremonies at a wide variety of venues, some of which are listed below.
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel, Bassenthwaite
- Beech Hill Hotel, Windermere
- Broadoaks Country House Hotel,
- Burnside Hotel, Windermere
- Clarence House Hotel, Dalton-in-Furness
- The Dale Head Hotel, Thirlmere
- The Grange Hotel, Grange-over-Sands
- Hipping Hall Hotel, Kirkby Lonsdale
- Lancrigg Hotel, Grasmere
- The Langdale Chase, Windermere
- The Merewood Hotel, Bowness-on-Windermere
- The Netherwood Hotel, Grange-over-Sands
- The Rampsbeck Country Hotel, Ullswater
- Stonecross Manor Hotel, Kendal
- Storrs Hall, Windermere,
- The Trout Hotel, Cockermouth
Family homes and gardens…
For many couples it is important that they hold their wedding ceremony in a place that is special to them, such as a family home or garden. I have conducted ceremonies in many different settings which have varied from a family living room to a walled garden and a marquee on the lawn. This has also included holiday cottages and their grounds.
Tipis and marquees…
Tipis and marquees are becoming increasingly popular with couples. They can enable you to hold your wedding celebrations in a more unique location, especially if your wish is to be in the heart of the countryside.
Tipi marquees look particularly stunning set against a backdrop of Lakeland fells, and ceremonies can be conducted either inside or at an outdoor location close by. Last year I was involved in two tipi weddings, one in the Borrowdale Valley and the other by the shores of Bassenthwaite. Both settings were magnificent!
Alternative wedding venues…
These include village halls and community buildings, as well as outdoor centres and youth hostels. There is a huge variety to choose from, and as you can see from some of the venues I have worked at, there are many different options available.
- Arnside Chapel, Arnside
- Silverholme, Graythwaite Hall Estate
- Hawkshead Brewery, Staveley, Nr Kendal
- Knipe Hall, Mardale
- Langdale Youth Hostel, near Eskthwaite
- The National Trust’s Straw Footprint Building, Windermere
- New House Farm, Lorton
- Newlands Adventure Centre, Keswick
- Patterdale Outdoor Centre, Ullswater
- The Saints Room, Cockermouth
- St Mary’s Parish Centre, Ambleside
- St Annes School, Windermere
For real outdoor lovers you can choose a location that is special to you. As well as holding a Mountain Leadership qualification I have worked with groups in the outdoors for over 20 years, and nothing gives me greater pleasure than bringing together this experience with my role as a celebrant. Some of the special places where I have conducted ceremonies include a jetty on Coniston Water, by the shores of Ullswater and Tarn Hows, and in a field in the heart of Borrowdale.
Celebrate your wedding with an Inspirational Ceremony
in a location that is special to you!
Lake District photos taken by Jon Allison